Monday, December 15, 2014

Making a Healthier Gingerbread House

The other night as I was driving home from work the roads were covered in fresh snow.  While it wasn't the most fun drive ever, it sure was beautiful.  So beautiful in fact that I didn't hardly mind having to drive so slow!  Everything sparkled like glitter had been tossed all over the place.


I love this time of year, I know I said that about fall and guess what...you will probably hear me say it come spring time too!  The holidays though have always been a favorite of mine.  I just enjoy all of the activities and traditions that I get to share with family and friends this time of year.  My heart is full with wonderful memories of baking cookies, picking out Christmas trees, finding that perfect gift for someone, sled riding, snowman building, all kinds of great food, Christmas Eve at the farm, and many holiday parties.  I love decorating too...even my pc gets a little festive touch!


This year I am all about adding a touch of wellness to the holidays.  This past weekend I got together with my sister-in-law, niece, and nephew to make gingerbread houses.  This seemed like a great opportunity by coming up with some healthier decorations for them.  It was actually really fun and gave our imaginations quite the workout too!


To start we used whole-wheat graham crackers to build our houses and for the frosting there honestly just isn't that great of a way to make it health so we had to give a little there.  For my house I went with a walnut cereal shingles, coconut snow, cranberry window panes, a walnut walkway, and almond and pistachio landscaping.  These are just a few items that I had on hand at the time, but I came up with a list of other great options to try as well.  Please feel free to share any other ideas you have!

Healthier Gingerbread Decor

Dried Fruit such as golden and dark raisins, cranberries, cherries, apples, strawberries, pineapple, papaya, kiwi, shredded coconut, banana chip, figs, date.

Nuts and seeds such as walnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.

Fresh Herbs to add a little greenery like mint leaves and rosemary sprigs. 


Whole cranberries (a healthy holiday staple...see why here).

Various cereals and granola for fun texture.

Miscellaneous snacks such as crackers, pretzels, and popcorn.

Dark chocolate chips, chunks and shavings for a hint of sweetness.

Coffee beans!




DISCLAIMER: The content on this blog, www.mind-bodypursuit.blogspot.com, represents the thoughts, ideas, and experiences of its author and should be taken as such…with a grain of salt.  It is for entertainment purposes only and not intended to prevent, diagnose, or cure.  Before trying any new physical activity, dietary plan, supplementation, complementary and alternative therapy, or other wellness tip please seek the guidance of a qualified professional

No comments:

Post a Comment