Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Health in the Bottom of Your Wine Glass!

Note: This blog post contains material only suitable for adults over the age of 21. Please discontinue reading and leave the page if you are underage.


Numerous articles and blog posts toting the health benefits of wine have been popping up in my social media news feeds lately...and let's face it I am eager to accept their ideas in an attempt to justify my love affair with the stuff.  I am not going to sit here and lie to myself (or all of you) and say that wine is good for you and drinking a bottle and a half every day is okay.  I do however believe there is some merit to the findings.  That being said, it's another one of those pesky "all in moderation" things.  There is certainly a point in consumption where the risks outweigh the benefits.  I myself enjoy a small glass at night on occasion, though certainly not as frequently as I used to. 


I am fortunate enough to live within hours of the New York Finger Lakes a.k.a. wine country!  I have enjoyed numerous trips riding (responsibly!) along the lakes taking in the beautiful scenery, visiting the wineries, and sampling all the delectable wines and cheeses (wonderfully paired) that were made there.  It's hands down my favorite day trip to take with family and friends.  Forget about the wine for a second...who can argue with these spectacular views of the vineyards along the water!?!


As you can tell it's easy for me to get carried away with this topic.  So back to wine and exploring its potential benefits.  A majority of the health benefits associated with wine, red wine particularly, are from the grapes used to make it.  Antioxidants are popularly known for their role in the immune system, but the polyphenols found in red wine can support a healthy cardiovascular system, and the compound resveratrol is linked to sharper memory function. 


Several of the articles I read even went as far to say that drinking wine can help you lose weight and improve your workouts.  I guess when it comes to drinking alcoholic beverages wine appears to be the healthier choice.  But as far as I'm concerned I would need to see some solid research and possibly conduct a few experiments myself (wink, wink) to believe that one.

Cheers!

Resources:

Fit Bottomed Girls. (2014). 9 Reasons to Have a Glass of Wine Tonight. Retrieved from http://www.ebay.com/gds/9-Reasons-to-Have-a-Glass-of-Wine-Tonight-/10000000183854710/g.html?roken2=ti.pSmVubmlmZXIgV2FsdGVycw==

Women's Health. (2014). 3 Tips for Choosing a Healthier Bottle of Wine. Retrieved from http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/healthier-wine

Riley, M. (2014). Drinking a Glass of Wine is the Same as Getting an Hour of Exercise, Says New Study and Our Wildest Dreams.  Retrieved from  http://www.bustle.com/articles/41340-drinking-a-glass-of-red-wine-is-the-same-as-getting-an-hour-of-exercise-says




DISCLAIMER: The content on this blog, www.mind-bodypursuit.blogspot.com, represents the thoughts, ideas, and experiences of its author and should be taken as such…with a grain of salt.  It is for entertainment purposes only and not intended to prevent, diagnose, or cure.  Before trying any new physical activity, dietary plan, supplementation, complementary and alternative therapy, or other wellness tip please seek the guidance of a qualified professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment