Well it has been a few weeks since I have posted. First of all, let me just say how good it feels to be blogging again. I happen to have a pretty good reason for my hiatus this past month...I was welcoming my new son into the world! And then of course adjusting to my new role as a mommy. So before I go on I would like you all to meet my little guy...
I have wrote several posts in the past about pregnancy-related topics and I am sure there will be many in the future about being a mom and caring for wee ones. But I thought this would be a good time to sit and reflect on just a few of the things that helped me stay healthy and happy throughout the past nine months.
1. Ginger Drops- I lived on these things during the beginning of my pregnancy when morning/afternoon/night-sickness reined. The ginger helped ease my nausea and also got rid of that nasty taste in my mouth.
2. Lemon Lift Tea- I am a huge coffee and tea drinker, but since caffeine is frowned upon I had to give them up for a while...reluctantly. Lemon tea was one of the only ones I tried that did not upset my stomach or give me heartburn, while still satisfying my need for a hot beverage. Plus, the lemon also helped with that icky taste in my mouth mentioned above.
3. Fiber One Bars- These were a life saver for keeping me "going"...no need to elaborate here. I carried them in my purse, stashed them at work, in the car, on my nightstand, in my desk, etc.
4. Witch Hazel- This one is just an awesome wellness essential anytime. I used it for many things such as a toner and makeup remover for my face, to soothe sunburns and even bug bites without having to worry about whether it was safe to use during pregnancy like other products intended for these uses.
5. Yoga Pants- Even more specifically, fold-over yoga pants. These really were my go-to bottoms for maternity wear. Not only are the super duper comfortable, but the band can be folded up for extra belly support, and can actually look rather nice when paired with the right outfit. Just as nice, as warm weather approached I found my favorite ones in capri length and continued to stay comfy and happy all summer long.
6. Sketchers Sneakers with Memory Foam- This one was a recommendation from a coworker who witnessed me struggling with sore, swollen and tired feet every day. For someone who is on their feet at work all day or is just plain active the shoes are well worth the money.
7. Reusable Tumbler- Staying hydrated is very important while pregnant. I found a nice double-walled 24 ounce tumbler that I carried with me, full of ice water, everywhere I went. Refilling my tumbler a minimum of 3 times a day ensured I drank enough water, although on most days I filled it even more.
8. Mobile Apps- I used multiple apps on my iPhone to keep track of everything going on. I used MyPlate to track my daily food and activities to ensure I was getting the right amount of calories. This app also helped me keep an eye on my weight gain. Other apps such as What to Expect, WebMD Pregnancy, and The Bump were useful for keeping track of appointments, checking baby's progress, and getting information and tips on pregnancy symptoms relative to my current stage at the time.
9. Prenatal Vitamins- I normally am not someone who takes a lot of vitamins. I much prefer eating a healthy diet that provides all the nutrients I need. However, I did not argue with the doctor on this one. It really is important that both mommy and baby get everything they need, it's not worth the risk. To be completely honest, I was the healthiest I can ever recall being through the winter... not even getting sick once!
DISCLAIMER: The content on this blog, www.mind-bodypursuit.blogspot.com, represents the thoughts, ideas, and experiences of its author and should be taken as such…with a grain of salt. It is for entertainment purposes only and not intended to prevent, diagnose, or cure. Before trying any new physical activity, dietary plan, supplementation, complementary and alternative therapy, or other wellness tip please seek the guidance of a qualified professional.