Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Classic Tuna Salad made with Greek yogurt

Recently I have been talking a lot about this health and fitness challenge I've been participating in. This week our challenge is to swap out high-carb foods like breads and pasta for extra fruits and veggies in one of our meals each day.   

Today I was in the mood for a tuna salad sandwich for lunch. I make mine with Greek yogurt as it's not only healthier, but it's just as creamy and delicious.  Besides, I don't care for mayo anyways.  

As I was making my tuna salad I remembered how my mom used to serve us tuna in lettuce cups when we were little.  With the challenge in mind, I decided to ditch the bread and enjoy my tuna salad in mini lettuce wraps instead.  Paired with a grapefruit and bottle of water...I had a light and satisfying lunch!


















Makes: 1 generous serving

Ingredients:
1 (3 oz.) can chunk light tuna, packed in water
1 tablespoon (about 1 or 2 slices) onion, diced
1 tablespoon (about 1/2 stalk) celery, diced
2-3 spoonfuls plain Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Drain the tuna and place in a small bowl with the diced onion, celery, and about 2 spoonfuls of Greek yogurt to start with. 


















Using a fork, flake the tuna apart and mix all ingredients together. Add more yogurt if necessary depending on how dry or wet you like your salad. 


















Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Best if used within 24 hours. 



















Serving Suggestions:
  • As a sandwich on whole wheat bread.
  • In a pita pocket.
  • With melted cheese on a toasted whole wheat bagel.
  • In a wrap.
  • On a salad.
  • Wrapped in lettuce leaves (as pictured above).
  • As a filling for celery sticks, cucumber or zucchini boats.
  • As a dip for crackers.
  • By the spoon.

DISCLAIMER: The content on this blog, www.mind-bodypursuit.blogspot.com, represents the thoughts, ideas, and experiences of its author and should be taken as such…with a grain of salt.  It is for entertainment purposes only and not intended to prevent, diagnose, or cure.  Before trying any new physical activity, dietary plan, supplementation, complementary and alternative therapy, or other wellness tip please seek the guidance of a qualified professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment