Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Mini Veggie Quiches

It's already been over a week since I posted last.  What can I say...things have been hectic!  Between finals, going back to work, and taking care of my little pumpkin I just haven't had the time.  I have however been tossing around lots of exciting ideas to share with you all in the near future and working on some other boring maintenance-like tasks.  


In the meantime, I thought I would share this quick recipe with you.  The great thing about this recipe is that it's highly customizable.  Feel free to omit or add different ingredients that you like.  This is my favorite combination, but I often switch it up depending on what I have on hand at the time.  I actually crumbled a tiny bit of bacon on top of the ones pictured here..yum!



These mini quiches have been a saving grace for me with my busy schedule lately.  I make them ahead of time and freeze them to pull out for a quick breakfast option.  All it takes is about 60-90 seconds in the microwave to reheat.  Then once I grab my coffee and some fruit I have a nutritious breakfast and I am ready to start my day!


 











Ingredients:


pastry dough, equivalent of a 2-crust pie

2 basil & garlic cubes, thawed (See how to make them here)

2 Tbsp. olive oil

¼ cup onion, chopped

¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped

2 cups baby spinach

1 tomato, chopped (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half)

3 eggs

½ cup low-fat milk

¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Salt and pepper, to taste



Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Lightly grease twelve muffin cups and set aside. 



In a pan over medium heat sauté the basil cubes, onion and green pepper in olive oil.  Once the veggies are tender turn the heat to low and add the baby spinach.  Continue cooking just until the spinach is wilted.  Set vegetable mixture aside to cool.  If you do not have fresh spinach on hand frozen can be used.  Thaw the frozen spinach and squeeze out the excess moisture before adding to the sauté pan.


Meanwhile in a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs and milk until combined.  Stir in the cheese, seasonings, tomatoes and cooled veggie mixture.


Roll out the pie dough and cut into twelve 4- inch circles.  Press each circle gently into the prepared muffin tins.  Divide the filling into the twelve pie shells.  If you have a great pie crust recipe by all means go ahead and make your own.  I however cannot seem to get the hang of it, as hard as my Great Mommom tried to teach me (sorry Great Mommom!). So I use either the pre-made pie crust sheets or a box mix for mine.


Bake the mini quiches for 18-20 minutes, or until the egg is set and edges of crust are golden brown.  Allow the mini quiches to cool slightly in the muffin tins before popping out with a fork. 




DISCLAIMER: The content on this blog, www.mind-bodypursuit.blogspot.com, represents the thoughts, ideas, and experiences of its author and should be taken as such…with a grain of salt.  It is for entertainment purposes only and not intended to prevent, diagnose, or cure.  Before trying any new physical activity, dietary plan, supplementation, complementary and alternative therapy, or other wellness tip please seek the guidance of a qualified professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment